The Life and Works of Did

Friday, February 24, 2006

Work, Work, YMCA

Have I explained my free lance work? I do costumes, mainly for theatre. Yes this is a very fun and creative job, but it also involves a lot of grunt work and paperwork. Thursday at gig #3 was mostly grunt work, although it did require a little bit of technical skill. It was mostly ironing and steaming dance costumes for a traveling show. The worst part was that, due to a crappy airline, one bag of costumes didn't make it to us until six hours before the show. That doesn't seem bad until you factor in two hours to launder the costumes plus several hours' worth of pressing and steaming. We worked up until half-hour, which is the typical call time for actors/dancers to get into costume. We could have cut that time in half if someone who knew the show had come to us and told us which pieces really needed attention. Everything was a mess, so we worked on all of it. Of course, all the jazz pants I pressed so diligently wrinkled up as soon as the dancers put them on. Luckily, we did get to everything that really did need the attention. And the most important part was the show had a huge audience and was totally fabulous (what I could see of it from backstage). And I'm getting paid well for it. That always helps. Oh, and did I mention the gorgeous Brazilian dancers?

Then there's gig #2. Now this is not a well-paying gig. This is the job I do for the love of the work. I designed costumes for a new company. Well, they're new to me, but they just started their tenth season as a professional theatre in Nashville. And, while I have gone to see their shows before, this is the first time I've worked for them. Anyway, as we were in dress rehearsals for the show, the artistic director asked me to design the show he's directing in the spring. And, on top of that, the show has gotten two glowing reviews, both of which compliment my costumes. So that's the reward there.

Now, to stop talking about work for a minute and get on with the good stuff: the YMCA. HB's work just started offering discounted memberships to the YMCA. He already had one, but this way it is cheaper. He mentioned to the HR Lady at his work (who is in charge of the program) that he's been meaning to get me a membership so we can go together. HR Lady, knowing full well that we are not married, instructed HB to tell the Y folks that he wanted a couple membership. The woman from the Y didn't even question it when he gave her my name, which is obviously different from his. So, according to the YMCA, we're married. And that, in my head, is something to brag about. So if anyone happens to know that the Y offers couple memberships to non-married partners, please don't tell me about it. Let me revel in this for a bit.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Art the Omnipotent said…

    congratulations are in order. At this moment we are celebrating with champaigne in my head. Brag on Baby!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home