The Life and Works of Did

Tuesday, May 30, 2006


I have been promising crafty night pics for a while, but I keep forgetting. So here's one - I took this about a month ago. Usually we all bring whatever we feel like working on to crafty night - knitting, crochet, beading, scrapbooking, whatever. But sometimes we arrange a group project. This was the last group project we did - fuzzy flip-flops! They were easy and fun, and they're pretty comfy to wear, even in the heat.

It was 95 degrees yesterday (Memorial Day), and, like an idiot, I was out in it. I went to my parents' house about an hour away to go out strawberry picking with my mom. There's a small farm on the outskirts of town where you can go pick your own and pay by the pound. Those of you who know that strawberry season is about over know that it was a little harder than usual. When strawberries are at their peak, you can fill a gallon bucket in a few minutes out of a couple square feet of patch, but at the end of the season, it becomes more like an Easter egg hunt. The ripe berries are still great - even sweeter now than before - but a little harder to come by. By the time we got out to the strawberry farm, it was almost noon. Twenty minutes of picking and I had to sit down from the heat. Another ten minutes and I called it quits. Between the two of us, we still managed to pick 13 pounds in that time, but I think I almost got heat stroke from it. I'm sure the headache I had for the rest of the day was from that experience. I was smart enough to put sunblock on my arms and face ( I wore a t-shirt, jeans, socks and shoes because I was worried about the bugs, but I didn't think about that adding to the heat), but I didn't think about the fact that I'd be bent over the whole time - I have a strip of bright red skin on my lower back where my shirt rode up. Luckily, it doesn't hurt, but it is very funny looking.

I was hoping to come home with the motherload of strawberries to freeze - we've become obsessed with smoothies - but as it turns out, it's better that I didn't. I can't even fit all I got in my freezer.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger WRPhillips said…

    so a question...I have strawberries in my new garden and they haven't bloomed yet. Alaska could just be different I guess...will keep you posted.

    Wouldn't mind getting a peek at the red stripe tho...
    heehee

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger WRPhillips said…

    oh so my question... duh :P
    do AK strawberries just bloom later in the season?

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Did said…

    I don't even remember strawberries when I was in AK. I know that all other berries, like blueberries and blackberries, are in season much later. It's probably a warmth thing, so I bet your strawberries have a few weeks (or more) to go yet. As a point of reference, we haven't had a frost in well over a month, and it was kind of late this year.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger WRPhillips said…

    ah I see...
    so all will be when it's supposed to :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home