Love and Basketball
I have about two hours to myself. After reading farmwife's and art's blogs, that seems trivial. But to me it's still important. Why the two lonesome hours? Because my mom bought tickets to the Vandy/UT men's basketball game. She bought them for Honey Bunny and me, but I mentioned that HB's dad would love to go see the game. Yes, I weasled out of the sporting event. Instead of going to the game with HB and my parents, I opted to sit at home and do laundry and blog. Laundry is far more appealing in my opinion. Every time HB mentions going to a game, be it football, basketball, or whatever, I scramble my brain to come up with some sort of feasible excuse not to go. Yes, I had to go to the baseball game with HB's family on his dad's birthday, but how do you get out of that? And yes, it was actually kind of fun. But overall, I just don't enjoy watching other people run around chasing balls and each other. I'm glad sports exist to motivate people into activity. In fact, I think more people should particitpate in team sports for exercise and learning team skills (not that I do it myself, mind you). But I just don't understand why everyone else wants to pay to watch it. Professional sports are beyond me.
Anyway, I should be thankful today for professional sports. I get to breathe for a minute. Not that HB is stifling at all. It's just that he and I both need to take a couple weekends to relax. We've been running ragged for months now, and it's hard for us to slow down. It's a lot harder for HB than me. We agreed to have a chill weekend, which in his head translates into planning fun activities with all of our friends for all but a few waking hours, during which he'll be studying like a madman. To me, a chill weekend means little to no plans with the flexibility of a little studying/work between naps and laundry and long walks. (Actually, I don't like naps, but I like to have the option and the time to take one if I wanted it.)
And now, of course, I have to interrupt my fun chill time to make it to the dry cleaners before they close. I have a few more errands to run as well, followed by a brief work meeting, then dinner with HB's parents (His mom is also in the Nashville area watching the new Dave Chapelle movie - how cool is that? She's in her fifties and is the first person I know to go see it!), followed by a show tonight at a coffee shop where HB's best friend is performing. What was that I was saying about a chill weekend? Oh yeah, two hours to myself. Make that one and a half.
Oh yeah, for those of you on the edge of your seats, I'm pretty sure HB really did take his mom to see the campus the other night. When they finally got back she said they were gone so long because she made him take her to Home Depot, which is just down the road. I can always catch HB in a lie, because he's not very good at lying, and he seemed to be telling the truth about where they went. I was so sure he was getting her opinion on a ring, but alas, he wasn't. Maybe they talked about it though...
I'll just have to hold my breath a little longer. Let's hope I don't pass out...
Anyway, I should be thankful today for professional sports. I get to breathe for a minute. Not that HB is stifling at all. It's just that he and I both need to take a couple weekends to relax. We've been running ragged for months now, and it's hard for us to slow down. It's a lot harder for HB than me. We agreed to have a chill weekend, which in his head translates into planning fun activities with all of our friends for all but a few waking hours, during which he'll be studying like a madman. To me, a chill weekend means little to no plans with the flexibility of a little studying/work between naps and laundry and long walks. (Actually, I don't like naps, but I like to have the option and the time to take one if I wanted it.)
And now, of course, I have to interrupt my fun chill time to make it to the dry cleaners before they close. I have a few more errands to run as well, followed by a brief work meeting, then dinner with HB's parents (His mom is also in the Nashville area watching the new Dave Chapelle movie - how cool is that? She's in her fifties and is the first person I know to go see it!), followed by a show tonight at a coffee shop where HB's best friend is performing. What was that I was saying about a chill weekend? Oh yeah, two hours to myself. Make that one and a half.
Oh yeah, for those of you on the edge of your seats, I'm pretty sure HB really did take his mom to see the campus the other night. When they finally got back she said they were gone so long because she made him take her to Home Depot, which is just down the road. I can always catch HB in a lie, because he's not very good at lying, and he seemed to be telling the truth about where they went. I was so sure he was getting her opinion on a ring, but alas, he wasn't. Maybe they talked about it though...
I'll just have to hold my breath a little longer. Let's hope I don't pass out...

2 Comments:
At 9:31 PM,
FarmWife said…
You could always go to the games just to scream at the cheerleaders. "JENNIFER!"
At 4:56 PM,
WRPhillips said…
Great use of 'your' time :)
Post a Comment
<< Home