work, SAHMs, craftiness
Once again, I should be working and not blogging, but oh well. I feel as though I have been working constantly lately. But that's what I get for taking on so many projects at once. I counted yesterday - I have fours different paid projects between costumes and grants, one non-paid film thing, and one volunteer grant thing. The volunteer thing is not very time-comsuming, but still, that's SIX projects that I'm working on! No wonder I'm so tired.
I just read f.w.'s blog about being a Stay At Home Mom, as well as all the comments on it. It basically boils down to what f.w. said - everyone has their own opinions about it, and different decisions are right for different people. I never thought I would want to be a SAHM - I've always loved working, and I've always counted on doing them both. But lately, with all the work I'm doing, I know that this job(s) would not be fair to continue with kids - it wouldn't be fair to anyone involved. I'm not saying I won't work, but I will seriously consider the circumstances before jumping into Mommy-hood. I really like the idea of part-time work. If the development work goes well, I can survive off that, and much of it can be done from home. That may be the ideal situation. Of course, I have a few years to decide still....
There's a woman who works as the business manager for the big theatre company I work for, and she just came back from maternity leave. She has a beautiful 4-month old baby girl - her first. She's kind of a workaholic. But she arranged with the theatre to work three days a week from home. She conducts most of her job from her computer and phone, and that works out fine at home. Now how cool is that? One good thing about working with a lot of struggling artists is they all understand how hard it is, and they're all pretty flexible about things.
As much as I'm complaining about working so much, it really is kind of nice. There really seems to be an ebb and flow when you free lance - there's either a ton of work at once or no work at all. Of course, I complain in both instances. But I really do enjoy lots of work - it keeps me on my toes, and it never gets boring. And there's always Crafty Night to keep me mildly sane. I'm glad that my Crafty Group meets weekly now, because otherwise I might go crazy from constant work. But I make myself take a break every Monday night to go get crafty with the girls (and the occassional guy). It's a real treasure, that Crafty Night. Right now I'm working on really simple projects - knit potholders are easy and very durable, and I happen to have a lot of friends who need some right now - but when I do something cool again, I'll post a pic of it.
And I promise to start writing about something more interesting than work....
I just read f.w.'s blog about being a Stay At Home Mom, as well as all the comments on it. It basically boils down to what f.w. said - everyone has their own opinions about it, and different decisions are right for different people. I never thought I would want to be a SAHM - I've always loved working, and I've always counted on doing them both. But lately, with all the work I'm doing, I know that this job(s) would not be fair to continue with kids - it wouldn't be fair to anyone involved. I'm not saying I won't work, but I will seriously consider the circumstances before jumping into Mommy-hood. I really like the idea of part-time work. If the development work goes well, I can survive off that, and much of it can be done from home. That may be the ideal situation. Of course, I have a few years to decide still....
There's a woman who works as the business manager for the big theatre company I work for, and she just came back from maternity leave. She has a beautiful 4-month old baby girl - her first. She's kind of a workaholic. But she arranged with the theatre to work three days a week from home. She conducts most of her job from her computer and phone, and that works out fine at home. Now how cool is that? One good thing about working with a lot of struggling artists is they all understand how hard it is, and they're all pretty flexible about things.
As much as I'm complaining about working so much, it really is kind of nice. There really seems to be an ebb and flow when you free lance - there's either a ton of work at once or no work at all. Of course, I complain in both instances. But I really do enjoy lots of work - it keeps me on my toes, and it never gets boring. And there's always Crafty Night to keep me mildly sane. I'm glad that my Crafty Group meets weekly now, because otherwise I might go crazy from constant work. But I make myself take a break every Monday night to go get crafty with the girls (and the occassional guy). It's a real treasure, that Crafty Night. Right now I'm working on really simple projects - knit potholders are easy and very durable, and I happen to have a lot of friends who need some right now - but when I do something cool again, I'll post a pic of it.
And I promise to start writing about something more interesting than work....
3 Comments:
At 12:45 PM,
FarmWife said…
I want a pot holder!!!
You know, I can't see you as a SAHM. Even if you didn't work outside the home, I can still see you packing your papoose around to craft shows, theater events, drum circles...ok, maybe not drum circles, but you get the drift.
Did and her tye-dyed baby sling!
At 1:49 PM,
Art the Omnipotent said…
Oh yes, definately the drum circles. I guess this baby will finally recieve the tye-dyed onesie we've been hearing about since I was pregnant with Sid.
At 8:08 PM,
Did said…
Hey Kate,
It was so nice to meet you this weekend. Thanks for having everyone over. Keep doing what you're doing artistically.
Erin (friends with Jennifer and Brent)
Post a Comment
<< Home